Tuesday 15 November 2011

Henry "Hank" Pillard

How did my father get to go to school in the United States?  The answer: Henry Pillard!!!!
I have been speaking to Coach Pillard since the inception of my book.  Coach Pillard recruited my father to wrestle for Joliet Junior College, giving Dad the opportunity to follow his dreams at obtaining a post-secondary education and wrestling for a US college.   
Coach Pillard had detailed accounts of my father’s wrestling career and has provided me with many new “Harry Geris” stories.  He supplied me with the story of how they came to know each other in 1967 (an amazing and comical adventure) and the story of how Dad got his scholarship offer with Oklahoma State University.  He had detailed interpretations of some of my father’s matches with Olympic bronze medalist Chris Taylor and Leonard Thompson (World medalist, Tolly Thompson’s father). 
 I look forward to telling you more about our conversations!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment