Wednesday 7 December 2011

A Letter from Oklahoma State Fan about my father!


Ostatesports.com
Shawn:

I could be mixing my memories, but I think your dad had a great match against Chris Taylor in the finals of the Big Eight championship at Stillwater in the early '70s. I don't remember the specifics, I'll have to do a little research and ask a friend or two who were with me, but your dad's match against Taylor secured the championship for O-State.

What I really remember is Taylor weighing over 400 pounds and your dad not being the heaviest heavy weight we ever had. But your dad was aggressive and scored a takedown, something I thought I'd never see against Taylor. Taylor typically shoved his opponents around the mat trying to bear hug them for a takedown to their backs. He'd eventually get the takedown or stalling points, or both. If they dropped down for his legs he'd just land on top of them with his crushing weight and soon turn them for the pin. Your dad actually took Taylor down, shooting in with a sweeping single leg. He got Taylor's leg without getting under him. He eventually popped up with the leg, knocking Taylor off balance. The crowd went crazy (packed house, over 6,000 fans). I honestly can't say I remember whether it was a win or not, but we had secured a head-to-head upset against another Iowa State wrestler a match or two earlier and so it came down to your dad's match against Taylor in the finals for the tournament championship. If your dad didn't have to secure the win, he couldn't give up bonus points. While I'm upset I can't remember the specifics this moment, I definitely remember him being incredible under the circumstances; being every bit Taylor's equal and securing the tournament championship for the Cowboys. 
Signed: OSU Fan for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment