Wednesday 11 January 2012

Going to Stillwater, Oklahoma: Cowboy country!


I just purchase a flight to Oklahoma to go watch the OSU Cowboys wrestle.  The meet is taking place at the legendary Gallagher-Iba Arena! 

Gallagher-Iba Arena, also known as "The Rowdiest Arena in the Country" and "The Madison Square Garden of the Plains”,[1] is the basketball and wrestling venue at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, Oklahoma, United States. Originally completed in 1938 and named the 4-H Club and Student Activities Building, it was soon renamed Gallagher Hall to honor wrestling coach Ed Gallagher. After renovations in 1987, the name became Gallagher-Iba Arena, as a tribute to longtime basketball coach and innovator Henry Iba.
My father competed in this building when he wrestled for OSU, where he had some exciting encounters, including two classic confrontations with Iowa’s 420lbs heavyweight Chris Taylor. 
While I am down there I have arranged to visit with one of Dad’s teammate Jim Shields.  In 1971 Jim wrestled at heavyweight replacing my father because my Dad injured his knee.  Jim originally wrestled at 177lbs, but was moved up, by coach Chesbro to the heavyweight class to fill in for my father.  That year Jim would become an All-American and place third at the 1971 NCAA Championships.
I have also arranged to have dinner with one of my father’s friends Dr. Kenneth Moore.  Ken befriended my father while he was at OSU and became a friend who Dad hung out with away from the wrestling circle.
I am looking forward to this trip as it will give me a chance to learn a little more about my father’s OSU years.  I will bring my camera and try to take picture of my adventures and post them here for you all to see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment