Sunday 26 February 2012

Wrestling with the NFL






There were times throughout my father's wrestling career when he couldn't find a workout partner his own size.  At Oklahoma State University my father didn't have that problem with guys like Jerry Sherk in the wrestling room.
Jerry Sherk transferred from a Jr. College in Washington state to wrestle for the Cowboys because of OSU's strong wrestling traditions, but he also wanted to play football. Wrestling Coach Myron Roderick told the football team about about the big heavyweight, and Jerry was subsequently put on a football scholarship.  In 1969-1970 Jerry Sherk wrestling record was 19-1-1 and he was the 1970 Big Eight Champion. Dad couldn't have found a  better workout partner!
I have been in correspondence with Jerry about Dad's early years at OSU. Jerry has been able to give me some good background information about the OSU wrestling team and has also given me a little homework.  I am currently reading John Irving's book: The 158lbs Marriage, a story that mentions Stillwater,Oklahoma and talks about Oklahoma State Wrestling long-standing traditions.
Jerry went on to play professional football after his career at OSU, I posted a video above to give you folks a little more information Jerry Sherk.  Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment