Friday 16 March 2012

Support from an Olympic Champion





A few years ago one of my father's wrestlers suggested petitioning the City of London to name a city street after dad.  I was at the Trillium Dedication Ceremony for the H.G.W.C. I spoke with London City Councillor Bill Armstrong about the idea.  Councillor Armstrong said it would be an easy process and asked me to email him later on in the week to remind him.  I sent him an email several months back and he still has not responded. 

Recently Olympic Champion, Daniel Igali, posted the following message on the Facebook page:  Petition to get the City of London to Honor Harry Geris

I never knew Harry as well as other people, but I have heard lots of good things about a great and selfless man. He was a ten time national champion and a three-time Olympian. Beyond and above all that, he was a great humanitarian. Gave freely of his time for the improvement of the sport he loved. Fitting that he died offloading wrestling mats for a wrestling tournament. By honoring Harry Geris, the city of London would be sending out a clear message that achievement and community service is a worthwhile endeavor. Above all, the city of London would be doing itself a favor by honoring someone who truly deserves to be honored in death. That would just be the right thing to do.

Daniel Igali - Olympic champion - Sydney 2000

If you would like to contact Councillor Armstrong and encourage him to help us with getting a street named in my father's name, he can be reached at:  519-661-2500 Ext. 4943

No comments:

Post a Comment