Wednesday 25 April 2012



Harry Geris vs Penn State!

In researching material for this book, I have had to track down some of my father’s old teammates, training partners, coaches and opponents.  Talking about my father’s past with these individuals has given me a different perspective of how my dad lived his life in his early years.  I have heard about his dedication from his teammates and his pure gentle nature from his family and his closest friends.  His opponents have given me a different insight to dad’s competitive wrestling days, since my father would rarely discuss that era.  

I had the recent pleasure of speaking with Penn State’s Athletic Director, Dave Joyner.   Dave Joyner was Dad’s quarter-final opponent at the 1972 NCAA Wrestling Championships held at the University of Maryland.  The previous year Dave Joyner was the runner-up at the 1971 NCAA Championships, where Joyner narrowly lost the National title to Greg Wojciechowski.

Dave Joyner is also a member of the All-Time Nittany Lion (Penn State) Football Team and he received the Outstanding Football Alumnus Award from the Penn State University Quarterback Club in 1985. He was inducted into the GTE-CoSIDA Academic All-America Hall of Fame, named as a Penn State University Distinguished Alumnus (1992), awarded the Penn State Wrestling Club's Distinguished Alumnus Award (1993) and inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame (1994) and the Pennsylvania Wrestling Hall of Fame (1993). He was Head Physician for the 1992 U.S. Winter Olympic Team and serves as Chairman of the U.S. Olympic Sports Medicine Committee. Dave also founded his own Sports medicine Institute and serves as an orthopedic surgeon at three Pennsylvania hospitals.

Dave was able to provide me with a great narrative of his quarter-final match with my father, from the takedown to the escapes of the thrilling bout.  When the tournament started there were eight full-sized mat surfaces on the floor of Cole Fieldhouse, at the quarter-finals there was only four wrestling surfaces spread out over the floor of the massive arena in front of a packed venue of 11,000 enthusiastic wrestling followers.  The four mat surfaces gave the crowd an intimate viewing of Dave and my father’s contest, Mr. Joyner said the crowd's applause was almost deafening at times.
 
I look forward to telling you more about this battle, but you have to wait for the book!!!!

                                                Dave Joyner - Penn State 

No comments:

Post a Comment